|Rail accident at the Municipal Cemetery 1929|
The fact the area had its own rail station proved a boon to the area. What was home to truck gardeners gradually gave way to housing.In July 1903, the Evening Tribune reported a building boom in Burnett with land selling for $1000 an acre. A number of families had recently arrived from “Indian Territory” (as Oklahoma was known then). This influx of new immigrants meant that two new rooms had to be added to the school house.
In August 1913, Los Angeles businessman C. Dean Mc-Phail, bought a large section of what became known as the Burnett Villa Tract for development. Gradually the area known as Burnett would be absorbed into Long Beach, with only the name Burnett Street, Burnett school, and Burnett library remaining to mark the history of the district.